A MALVERN man has expressed his shock after finding a used syringe in the town’s Victoria Park.
The man contacted The Observer after the incident which happened around 6.40pm on Friday while he was walking his dog.
He said: “I was concerned for the safety of my dog because if the syringe was there I feared there could be a needle sticking out of the ground nearby.
“It was also close to the football pitch where a lot of games are held.
“If a child was to fall or slide on a needle it could cause them serious injury, not to mention the potential for infection and anxious waits while tests were carried out.”
The man carefully removed the item and disposed of it.
West Mercia Police said they were aware of the incident, adding Malvern Hills District Council was responsible for clearing up items, such as drug paraphernalia and had officers trained to dispose of them safely.
A spokesperson added: “We work closely with Malvern Hill District Council to tackle any long term anti-social issues that come to the fore.”
Rob Rich, Malvern Hills District Council’s community safety and enforcement manager, said: “Finding a needle can be alarming, but it’s important to remember that it is relatively rare in our district. ”
He urged anyone who found a needle in a public place should report it to Malvern Hills District Council via the malvernhills.gov.uk website or by calling 01684 862250.
“We would never recommend a member of the public clearing this away themselves.
“We aim to clear sharps within two hours during office hours,” added Mr Rich.
Victoria Park is the responsibility of Malvern Hills Town Council.
A spokesperson told The Observer people should also alert the authority to incidents like this by calling 01684 566667 so the council was made aware.