18th Nov, 2019

Family evicted from Malvern home

Malvern Editorial 6th Aug, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016

A MALVERN family who ‘terrorised’ their neighbours and left them ‘fearful to say anything’ have finally been evicted.

It comes after a long legal battle between Fortis Living and the Evans family, formally of Atyeo Close.

The main culprit was a ten-year-old boy who, according to police, threw rubbish and wandered the streets at all times of the day and night.

PCSO Freeman, from Pickersleigh safer neighbourhood team, said the youngster, who did not go to school, would shout and argue with pedestrians and motorists.

“The young male terrorised the neighbourhood with throwing objects, stones, ripe plumbs and rubbish,” he said.

“When his father moved in as well he often got involved in the son’s battles and made residents fearful of saying anything.”

The family were first told to leave by November 30, 2014 but the Evans family decided to appeal the decision. The Judge, overseeing the case, ordered them to go by July 29.

When bailiffs arrived to repossess the home it was empty. Neighbours said they had not seen the family for months and believed they had moved to Ireland.

Emma Bushell, who lives on Atyeo Close, told The Observer there had been a lot of incidents but she thought they had all been blown out of proportion and felt sorry for the Evans.

She added a lot of the incidents which happened had involved her two children and were cases of ‘kids just being kids’.

“It is a shame I have not heard of them since – they were not given a chance at all,” she said.

“They were a traveller family and just wanted to be treated like everybody else.”

Another neighbour, who lived in the close and did not wish to be named, said: “It has been so quiet since they have gone and it has been amazing.

“I have two children and I did not let them out the front when they were around.

“I feel a lot safer now and we can actually let our children out to play.”

Other neighbours either said they did not know the Evans or had no problems with them.

Sue Heelas, Fortis Living’s assistant director of housing and community services, said they did not tolerate any forms of anti-social behaviour.

“Despite numerous attempts to work with the family, their behaviour had continued to cause considerable distress to the neighbours,” she added.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Malvern Observer.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.