A ‘MONSTER’ tree twice the height of house a few feet away can now be removed.
District councillors ruled on Wednesday (August 20) to remove a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) on the large Conifer in Albert Park Mews, so it could be maintained properly or even taken down.
Residents in the close had complained the tree – a golden Cupressus specimen – overhung the narrow road and blocked visibility for drivers in both directions.
They also claimed there had been near misses between cars and warned a head-on collision was waiting to happen.
But Chris Lewis-Farley, landscape officer at Malvern Hills District Council, had called for the TPO to remain arguing Albert Park Mew was a quiet road with few cars.
He also said despite the canopy of the tree overhanging the road by nearly two metres there was still enough room for two average size cars to pass.
Mr Lewis-Farley added there had been no damage to any nearby property yet and pointed out that the TPO did not prevent work being carried out on the conifer.
However he admitted the tree could potentially grow a further 40ft upwards.
The council’s Southern Area Development Management Committee unanimously voted for the order to be removed.
Coun Brian Pilcher said: “This is a beautiful tree but it is in completely the wrong place. It’s a monster, in the last five years I cannot believe the amount of growth it has achieved.
“It is growing at a rate of a meter a year and this is just damage waiting to happen whether it is next year or whenever.”
He also argued the problems caused by the tree were likely to be detrimental to residents’ mental health in the area.
Coun Jill Campbell added: “This tree needs about 50 acres of park land around it not elderly residents. It is problems waiting to happen and it needs to come down.”