THE NOMINEES for this year’s Malvern Hills District Community Sports Awards have been revealed.
A shortlist of 30 individuals or teams will contest 12 accolades which will celebrate the great sporting achievements and voluntary contributions across the district in the last year.
The event will be held on Thursday, July 11, at The Bank House Hotel in Bransford.
The accolades are run by Malvern Hills District Council in association with headline sponsor Freedom Leisure.
The keynote speaker will be Paralympian Mel Nicholls, a wheelchair racer, endurance handcyclist and adventurer.
Mel will be telling her inspiring story, including her attempt to become the fastest person to handcycle from Land’s End to John O’Groats in June this year.
Coun Tom Wells, Malvern Hills District Council’s portfolio holder for community services, said the council was committed to encouraging people to be more active and look after their health and wellbeing.
“It is an opportunity to celebrate the sporting achievements of those individuals and groups across the district.
“The awards shine a light on those making a positive impact on their community through sport which inspires others to get involved too.”
The full list of nominees:
1. Community Project of the Year (sponsored by Sports Partnership Herefordshire and Worcestershire):
MTFC Junior Club Matchday Experience
Pendock Spring Chicken Run
The Friday Night Project
2. Inclusive Project of the Year (sponsored by Three Counties Showground):
L&BBFC Inclusivity & Increased Participation Project
3. Sports Schools of the Year (sponsored by Rural South Worcestershire Community Safety Partnership):
Pendock Primary School
Tenbury CofE Primary Academy
4. Team of the Year (sponsored by Automated Packaging Systems):
L&BBFC U12 Saints
5. Coach of the Year (sponsorship opportunity available):
Adele Hodges – City of Worcester & Malvern Gymnastics Club
Gemma Hinton – Dance in Motion Academy
Jazz Kristy – City of Worcester & Malvern Gymnastics Club
6. Club of the Year (sponsored by Fortis Living):
Kempsey Tennis Club
Leigh & Bransford Badgers Football Club
Malvern Buzzards Running Club
7. Positive Change of the Year (sponsored by YMCA Worcestershire):
Bronwen Matthews – Malvern Splash
Nicola Turrell – Malvern Buzzards Running Club
8. Volunteer of the Year (sponsored by Melton Group):
Bradley Barnes – City of Worcester & Malvern Gymnastics Club
Simeon Foreman – Malvern Buzzards Running Club
9. Young Female Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Malvern Panalytical):
Bryony Heasman – Dance in Motion Academy
Charlotte Martin – Worcester Crocodiles
Sarah-Jane Ollis – Worcester Athletics
10. Young Male Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Cue Events):
Charlie Bennett – Worcester Wolves Basketball Academy
Daniel Day – Worcester Crocodiles
Malachi Cashmore – Malvern Triathlon Club
11. Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Worcestershire County Cricket Club):
Ellen Cochrane – Gaia Horsemanship
Esme Ruff – Malvern Hills Riding Club
Harriet Harnden – Malvern Cycle Sport
12. Unsung Hero of the Year (sponsored by Freedom Leisure):
Lisa Stride-Turner – British Dressage
Peter Daffin – Malvern Town Football Club
There is still one sponsorship opportunity available, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request the Sponsorship Package.
Visit www.malvernhills.gov.uk/sports-awards for more information.