NEW ACCOMMODATION is set to created in Worcestershire which will provide a ‘safe haven’ for a group of vulnerable teenagers.
Worcestershire County Council has unanimously agreed to invest £1million into the scheme which will see 83 young people move into new homes.
The group of teenagers, which are either deemed as ‘children in need’ or are subject to a Care Order, had been costing taxpayers £2.5million-a-year as the council had to provide post-16 supported living accommodation.
However, this investment, which was formally agreed at a full council meeting last Thursday (June 9), will help the authority save £312,00-a-year.
Coun John Campion, the council’s cabinet member for children and families, said: “This is an excellent initiative of further expansion of our highly rated in-house provision that not only provides excellent quality of care, but also delivers excellent value for money.”
Members of the Labour group also backed the scheme as its leader Coun Peter McDonald said: “This is a bit of a fresh air.
“The control group at long last are starting to realise we can do things in-house more efficiently and effectively than commissioning it to the private sector.”
Coun Pattie Hill added: “Supported living is a 24-hour undertaking and we have to ensure that our young people have a safe haven and assists those who have ambitions to fulfil their adult life.
“So this in turn will hopefully lead to employment, good health, friends and to become strong members of our community in the future, which is all to our advantage in Worcestershire.”