Despair as Town are edged out - The Malvern Observer

Despair as Town are edged out

Malvern Editorial 11th Feb, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

TEN-MAN Malvern Town were left red-faced by Dudley Town, who came from behind to snatch a dramatic 3-2 victory at the HDanywhere Community Stadium.

Sam Rathbone opened the scoring for the hosts before Alex Byatt put the ball into his own net to give Malvern a 2-1 lead at half time.

Les Jones’ side would have been looking to kick on after the break, but instead a mistake in defence opened up the chance for Lee Smith to level the score.

Malvern then capitulated in the remaining ten minutes as Aaron Richards was sent off after receiving a second yellow card before Shawn Devonport scored the winner late on.

Malvern started brightly, but they were unable to convert their opportunities as notably Rathbone fired in a shot, which went across the goal, but nobody was able to tap it in.

Malvern did take the lead in the 21st minute when Matthew Turner ran into the box and squared the ball to Rathbone who slotted home.

However, they could have been further in front as Lee Hooper side-footed his effort just wide before Turner went close on two occasions.

Dudley made them pay for their missed chances in the 34th minute as they found their way into the box and, following a couple of blocks, the ball fell to Devonport who bagged the equaliser.

Despite the setback, Town regained the lead four minutes before the interval when Jack Cullity ran down the right and sent in a fierce cross which Byatt could only deflect into his own net.

As the match wore on, the pitch began to cut up quite badly as the ball was sticking in the mud and preventing any decent football being played.

This looked like it may play into Malvern’s favour as they tried to stay on top, but they then gifted Dudley the chance to level the score when a defensive mix-up saw the ball find Smith who made it 2-2 in the 53rd minute.

Malvern had chances to edge ahead, but they failed to take them as Reece King fired over before Dave Reynolds’ curling effort struck the angle of the post and crossbar.

Malvern continued to press, but they suffered a blow in the 80th minute when Richards was given his marching orders.

The red card was then followed by Dudley’s third as Devonport netted his second with five minutes remaining to secure victory.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Malvern Observer newspaper.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Malvern Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.