Malvern boss calls for more focus - The Malvern Observer

Malvern boss calls for more focus

Malvern Editorial 12th Mar, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

DIRECTOR of rugby Dave Irish says his side must improve their concentration levels after surviving a second half fightback to beat Nuneaton Old Edwardians 25-18 on Saturday.

Malvern appeared to be cruising to a comfortable victory after tries from Dave Smith, Jordan Nwachukwu and Luke Milton gave the visitors a 20-6 lead at the break.

Although Nwachukwu went over for the second time to secure the win, Irish felt his side allowed Nuneaton back into the game as they conceded two tries in the second half.

“It was that old cliché of a game of two halves,” Irish said. “We were well in control until the break but with a two-score cushion seemed to lose focus and allow them to get back into the game.

“Thankfully Jordan’s second half score kept us ahead and we were just able to contain them enough for the win.

“We will be addressing the concentration issues in training over the next two weeks before our next game at home to a tough and improving Old Coventrians side on March 21.”

With the chance to secure their fourth double of the season, Malvern got off to a strong start as they put together a series of determined attacks before opening the scoring. James Southall worked the ball well and lock Smith was on hand to score a rare but well taken try.

Malvern were snuffing out any Nuneaton threats in midfield while taking their chances when they came. Ben King landed a penalty before the away side scored their second try moments later.

After Connor Giggle made inroads to the home five-metre line, play was quickly switched across to the other wing and Nwachukwu stormed through and touched down. King converted.

Nuneaton fought back with two long range penalties but Malvern regained their composure and soon extended their lead when skipper Luke Milton finished off a good move.

The interval appeared to come at the right time for Nuneaton as they came out fighting in the second period. Only a mixture of strong Malvern defence and errors from the hosts kept them from scoring.

It took until the hour mark for Malvern to get into home territory, but when they were there they made it count. Malvern shunted the ball across the line and Nwachukwu went over.

The Warwickshire side refused to give in, though, and managed to snatch a well deserved losing bonus point with two late tries as Malvern’s defence began to lose its shape.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Advertise with the Malvern Observer to reach your audience


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.