Online Editions

6th Dec, 2021

Reynolds is last-gasp hero for Town

Malvern Editorial 18th Dec, 2014 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016

DAVE Reynolds struck an injury-time winner to secure Malvern Town a dramatic 4-3 victory over an ill-disciplined Smethwick Rangers, who ended the game with eight men.

Matthew Turner also starred as he bagged two goals either side of half time to pull Malvern level on two occasions.

Town were behind again when Sandeep Singh netted after 68 minutes but they continued to plug away and got their reward late on.

Aaron Richards scored with six minutes remaining to make it 3-3 before Reynolds got on the end of a cross to snatch victory for the hosts.

However, the match was marred by an injury to James Beddle who sustained a nasty cut in his leg and left Smethwick with just ten men before Ricky Sandhu and Singh both saw red.

Malvern should have opened the scoring after just six minutes when Phil Harris’ cross found Sam Rathbone but the striker could only direct his header on to the post before Turner’s shot was cleared off the line.

The miss would prove costly as Smethwick took the lead just two minutes later. Keeper Sebastian Mann played the ball long to Parminder Singh, who then knocked the ball past the onrushing  Weaver.

Despite the blow, Malvern remained a threat going forward as Lee Hooper and Kirk Layton both hit the woodwork before Turner fired a low shot from 30 yards which just squeezed under Mann and into the corner of the net.

But parity did not last long as Martin Lewis’ effort was adjudged to have crossed the line for Smethwick after 40 minutes, despite the best efforts of Harry Wickett tracking back.

Malvern levelled things up at the start of the second half and it was Turner who again applied the finishing touch as he volleyed home Reynolds’ cross.

The visitors, who had already used their only substitute, were then forced to play with ten men when Beddle was carried off the pitch.

But they did not let this derail them as Rangers took the lead for the third time in the match, with Singh chipping the ball over the advancing Weaver.

And Smethwick appeared to be holding on as Layton and Richards wasted good opportunities, but in the 84th minute Malvern found the equaliser with Richards netting.

The wheels then came off for the visitors when  Ricky Sandhu was shown a red card for foul language. Malvern then bagged the winner through Reynolds before Singh was shown a second yellow card as Rangers played the remaining minutes with eight men.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Malvern Observer newspaper.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Malvern Observer to boost your online presence.