Town Urn final spot before netting 12 - The Malvern Observer

Town Urn final spot before netting 12

Malvern Editorial 19th Feb, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

IT WAS a week to remember for Malvern Town as they moved to within one win of clinching their first silverware of the season before putting 12 goals past Wednesfield on Saturday.

Town will meet Highgate United in the final of the Worcestershire FA Senior Urn at Evesham United’s Jubilee Stadium on Tuesday, March 31 after beating Alvechurch 6-5 on penalties.

The semi-final was locked at 2-2 at full time, with both of Malvern’s goals coming from Matt Turner, before the forward netted the decisive spot-kick on Thursday.

This result seemed to give Town an almighty boost as they ran riot at Wednesfield, who are bottom of the West Midlands Regional League.

Dave Reynolds bagged a hat-trick, while there were braces for Ben Hayes and Sam Rathbone as they secured a sensational 12-0 victory.

Despite getting stuck in traffic en route to the Wolverhampton side, Malvern came storming out of the blocks as they opened the scoring with a goal inside the first three minutes.

The ball was played to Kirk Layton who passed it to Ben Hayes who spun and volleyed it into the back of the net.

It took Town 20 minutes to score their next, but after that it was all one-way traffic.

Reynold netted Malvern’s second as he got on the end of Lee Hooper’s cross before the striker turned provider five minutes later, with Hayes firing home.

Les Jones’ side then completed a dominant first half with a further goal as Reynolds grabbed his second in the 33rd minute to make it 4-0.

With such a big lead, Town could have afforded to take their foot off the gas in the second period, but instead they continued where they left off.

Harry Wickett was brought down in the box and the referee awarded a penalty, which Lee Hooper dispatched.

Dene Whittal-Williams then got on the scoresheet by heading home Hooper’s cross before Town scored twice in as many minutes to move further clear.

Rathbone produced a fine volley to make it 7-0 on the hour mark before Jake Hollylee scrambled home another a minute later.

The goals continued to come for Malvern with a Jack Cullity corner finding Aaron Richards whose header proved too good for the opposition keeper.

Layton then moved the scoreline into double figures before Town notched two more in the closing moments.

Malvern were awarded another penalty for a handball, which Reynolds scored to complete his hat-trick, before Hooper played the ball to Rathbone to rifle it home for his second and Malvern’s 12th at the death.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Malvern Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.